J.D., cum laude, Elisabeth Haub School of Law at Pace University, 2001
- Managing Editor, Pace Law Review, 2001
- National Finalist in National Moot Court Competition, 2001; Pace Moot Court Board, 2000-2001
B.S., John Jay College of Criminal Justice, 1996
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
T (914) 704-4404
C (917) 539-6656
Sheryl is dedicated to providing clients with comprehensive, high quality, detail-oriented representation. She concentrates in the defense of claims concerning New York Labor Law, premises liability, civil rights, construction, environmental, motor vehicle and hospitality matters. For over 15 years, Sheryl has handled complex litigation in both New York State and federal courts from inception through motion practice and trial. In particular, she has handled negligence claims, class actions and Federal Civil Rights actions brought pursuant to 42 USC § 1983 Law.
An experienced and skilled appellate practitioner, Sheryl has argued and repeatedly achieved success before the Appellate Division, First and Second Departments. She has obtained several favorable decisions in cases involving the residential exclusion to the New York Labor Law.
Previously, Sheryl was employed for 11 years at a national law firm where her legal talent was recognized with promotion to partner and she was entrusted to serve as lead counsel on a number of high exposure cases. Prior to that, Sheryl served as an Assistant Corporation Counsel in the Special Federal Litigation Division of the New York City Law Department. In this capacity, she successfully litigated many federal civil rights cases.
Outside the firm, Sheryl is an active parishioner in her church, where she enjoys assisting in all facets of Sunday school and is involved in a broad array of endeavors to benefit charities. She enjoys playing volleyball, spearheading adult volleyball tournaments and watching the New York Mets.
- Appellate Practice
- Automobile, Trucking and Transportation
- Civil Rights
- Construction Law
- Environmental Law
- Excess Insurance Coverage and Monitoring
- General Liability
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Toxic Torts
- Pace Law Women in Law Steering Committee, Member
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), Member
- National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association (NRRDA), Member
- Westchester Women's Bar Association (WWBA), Member
- Presenter, “Intro to Civil Practice Skills: Torts, Personal Injury and Insurance Law,” New York State Bar Association’s CLE, October 2015
- Instructed CLE courses regarding changes in the Prison Litigation Reform Act (PLRA) and Preclusion of Lost Wages under IRC
- Rodriguez v. Antillana (Bronx County) - Sheryl Sanford and John Bieder obtained summary judgement in NY Labor Law action after establishing injury-producing work does not fall under the definition of “Construction.”
- Veloso v. Scaturro Brothers, Inc., et al. (New York County) - Sheryl Sanford and Dana Marjieh obtained pre-discovery dismissal for engineer in NY Labor Law case.
- Torres v. Perry Street (Kings County, 14914/2006) - Labor Law verdict.
- Nakasato v. Wong (NY County, 103045/2009) - Premises liability trial – defense verdict.
- Munoz v. 260 8th Street, LLC (Kings County, 159668/2016) - Labor Law - pre-answer motion to dismiss granted.
- Sandals v. Shemtov, 2016 N.Y. App. Div. LEXIS 2514, 2016 NY Slip Op 02637, Supreme Court of the State of New York, Appellate Division: Second Judicial Department (2016)